Main menu


Man chainsaw damaged Cohasset police station, children dangled from window during standoff – Boston 25 News

featured image

COHASSET, Mass. – A chainsaw-wielding man who tried to force his way into Cohasset police station before barricading himself in his home and dangling his two young children from a window during a tense, hours-long standoff is expected to appear before a judge on Monday.

Brien Buckley, 35, of Cohasset, is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Quincy District Court on charges of assault by means of a dangerous weapon with a chainsaw, three counts of damage to property, two counts of endangering children, resisting against arrest, driving to danger, operating a motor vehicle without a permit, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace and willfully destroying a tree.

Officers had to break into the Buckley’s home and use a stun gun to remove him from his young son and daughter, both under five years old, according to Cohasset Police Chief William Quigley.

Buckley, who is known to the department, attempted to enter the police station lobby by cutting a security door with a chainsaw after driving his truck onto the lawn, Quigley said. A desk clerk was able to safely barricade herself and enlist the help of police officers. Buckley then allegedly fled to his home.

Photos from inside the ward showed the damaged door covered in brown paper and police tape.

“Went in and essentially terrorized the civilian desk clerk who was behind the security door and security glass, but he wreaked havoc on the lobby with the chainsaw and then fled the precinct,” Quigley said.

Officers tracked Buckley back to the residence, where a lengthy standoff ensued between him and officers. The police tried to negotiate with him peacefully for over two hours before Quigley said they could wait no longer.

“We hadn’t seen or heard from the kids for over 2 hours, an hour and a half and at that point it was decided we had to go inside,” said Quigley. “We were waiting for an opportunity where he was far enough away from the kids where we could go into the house and take him into custody.”

At some point during the standoff, Buckley left his children dangling in front of a second-story window, investigators said.

Quigley told Boston 25 that Buckley called the department earlier in the day and asked for officers to help watch his children. When they refused, he returned hours later with a chainsaw, Quigley added.

At 3:40 p.m., Cohasset police told residents who lived within a quarter mile of Norfolk Road and Cushing Road to shelter in place while officers attempted to negotiate with Buckley.

According to the police, the children were safely removed from the home and are being cared for by relatives.

Neighbor Paul Brady told the Boston 25 News that he was extremely concerned for the children’s safety.

“Extremely concerned. I’ve seen them run around the neighborhood and see cute, beautiful little kids playing,” Brady said. “It’s a quiet neighborhood and things like this just don’t happen. It is a very strange set of circumstances at the moment.”

Buckley was transported to a hospital for a mental health evaluation before being released and taken back to police headquarters.

An investigation is still ongoing.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News App for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW